Earlier this month David Miliband, Secretary of State for Defra, gave a speech to the CPRE on the future of the countryside. He raised a number of important questions that ecologists need to engage with.
- Improving our understanding of ecosystem services in order to value environmental assessets that have been seen as free goods
- Reforming CAP to improve the provision of environmental goods
- Re-wilding less productive agricultural land
- Understanding how climate change will affect conservation designations
- Valuing the role that forests, peat bogs and other ecosystems play in carbon sequestration