Parliamentary shadowing scheme
Our parliamentary shadowing scheme offers early and mid-career ecologists the chance to gain an inside view of the policy world.
Participants spend two days shadowing senior policymakers from Westminster, Brussels or the devolved nations, gaining a unique insight into the day-to-day workings of government and parliament.
Applications are now closed for the 2016 scheme. Successful applicants will be contacted shortly. Currently we are able to offer two placements, with:
- Julie Girling MEP, Member of the European Parliament for South West England and Gibraltar (Conservative), member of the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety Committee. The placement will take place in Brussels on 28-30 November 2016, and applicants must be available on those dates.
- Roseanna Cunningham MSP (Scottish National Party), Cabinet Secretary for Environment, Climate Change and Land Reform, Scottish Government. The placement will take place in Edinburgh in Autumn/Winter 2016, with dates to be arranged. Applicants must be available at reasonable notice during this period.
Applicants must be:
- BES members
- post-PhD or with an equivalent level of professional experience
Selection will be based on:
- Experience or willingness to actively communicate ecological research to policymakers
- Strong scientific record for career status
- Intent to share what is learned during the Fellowship with students and colleagues