*This vacancy is now closed. Please check back in summer for further opportunities*
The British Ecological Society, the UK’s learned society for ecology, has a vacancy for a paid intern to work in the science policy team for two days a week for three months from the end of May 2013.
The Policy Intern will be paid the National Minimum Wage (£6.19 per hour).
The Policy Intern will help:
- Monitor legislation and policy developments relevant to the science of ecology
- Summarise policy developments for a general audience through the BES policy blog
- Assist with the preparation of policy statements, briefing papers and responses to Government consultations
- Assist with the organisation of policy meetings and events
- Assist with administrative tasks
There is scope for refining the the tasks undertaken according to the experience and skills the intern would like to develop.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Graduate (preferably in ecology, environmental science or a related subject)
- Knowledge of ecological science
- Knowledge of or interest in public policy
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent IT skills
Application is by CV (no more than two sides of A4) and covering letter (no more than one and a half sides of A4).
Please include in your covering letter your answer to the following question (in no more than 100 words): ‘What, in your view, is the major challenge facing the environment in the UK between now and 2020 and how can ecological science help to tackle this?’
Please submit your CV and letter via email to Policy@BritishEcologicalSociety.org.
Please include details of when you would be available to start and on which days you would be available to work.
Interviews will take place on the morning of Tuesday 14 May 2013.