Call for Associate Editors – all BES journals
We are looking for active researchers and applied ecologists to join the Editorial Boards of Ecological Solutions and Evidence, Functional Ecology, Journal of Animal Ecology, Journal of Applied Ecology, Journal of Ecology, Methods in Ecology and Evolution and People and Nature.
At the BES we value the benefits that diversity brings. We are holding this open call to help improve the diversity of our editorial boards and strongly encourage applicants from underrepresented groups and regions to apply.
- An active researcher with a PhD (or, for Ecological Solutions and Evidence, equivalent practical experience) in a field relevant to the journal scope
- Evidence of an active and relevant publication record for current career stage
- Experience of reviewing
- Expertise in relevant subject areas within the scope of the journal
Although previous editorial experience is desirable, we encourage applications from researchers at any stage of their career, even if they have not previously worked as an editor.
All journals are supported by professional editorial office staff and offer flexibility and planned absences due to parental leave, prolonged field work or other personal commitments.
- Making initial assessments of the suitability of manuscripts
- Selecting appropriate peer reviewers
- Making recommendations to the Senior Editor on the basis of reviews received and your own professional opinion
- Assisting editorial team to identify papers for further promotion via video, podcasting and the media
- Contributing to initiatives such as journal-specific and cross-journal Virtual Issues and Special Features
- Acting as an ambassador for the journal at conferences and engaging with the journal through blogs and social media, as appropriate
Associate Editors typically handle around 10 original submissions per year, but this number ranges from 5 to 15, depending on subject area, AE capacity, numbers of submission received overall and absences agreed with the journal, with an expectation to handle papers in a timely manner.
Associate Editors are entitled to free personal access to the journal and free registration to the BES Annual Meeting every year. In addition to this, they receive a year’s free membership to the BES, with a 50% discount for subsequent years. Full details of BES membership benefits can be found here.
Each journal is seeking subject experts in different topics, as listed below.
To apply, please complete this online form. You will be asked to upload a CV and provide a brief statement on why you would like to become an Associate Editor. You will be asked to select the primary journal for your application, but if your application is unsuccessful with your journal of choice, you may still be considered by an alternative BES journal.
Application deadline: Tuesday 28th February 2023
The BES values the benefits that diversity brings. We seek to create an inclusive culture and welcome applications from all sectors of society and from any geographic region.
Ecological Solutions and Evidence
Ecological Solutions and Evidence publishes articles with direct relevance for the management of biological resources and ecological systems.
The journal is inviting applications from people working at the interface of research and practice or policy to further expand the current Editorial Board of applied researchers working in academia and practitioners in a range of roles.
We would particularly like to encourage applicants with expertise in the following areas:
- Ecological modelling
- Indigenous science
- Behavioural ecology
- Disease ecology
- Ecosystem ecology
- Human ecology
- Landscape ecology
- Population ecology
- Environmental Law
- Mark and recapture
- Matrix models
- Movement models
- Bayesian analysis
Functional Ecology publishes high-impact papers that enable a mechanistic understanding of ecological pattern and process from the organismic to the ecosystem scale.
Given our scope we are looking for ecologists who are interested in broad ecological questions, and whose research interest crosses taxa. We welcome applications from anyone working within our scope and especially those with additional expertise in the following areas:
- Global South
- Ecophysiology (endotherms and ectotherms)
- Animal interactions (predator-prey, competition, etc.)
- Plant ecophysiology
- Microbial ecologist
- Plant-animal interactions (pollination and herbivory)
- Food webs
- Ecological networks
Journal of Animal Ecology
Journal of Animal Ecology publishes the best animal ecology research that develops, tests and advances broad ecological principles. We are looking for applications from those with expertise in the following areas:
- Avian biology
- Stable isotopes (fish)
- Invasive species
- Network ecology
- Social insects
- Plant-animal interactions
- Above-ground below-ground linkages
- Impacts of animals on ecosystems
- Analysis of biodiversity data
- Population genetics / genomics
- Quantitative genetics
- Community ecology (insects)
- Urban ecology
- Animal migration
Journal of Applied Ecology
Journal of Applied Ecology publishes novel, high-impact papers on the interface between ecological science and the management of biological resources. We are looking for applications from those with expertise in the following areas:
- Freshwater and marine applied ecology
- Interdisciplinary ecologists
- OneHealth ecologists
- Disease ecologists
- Food security ecology
- Traditional knowledge
- Remote sensing
Journal of Ecology
Journal of Ecology publishes original articles on all aspects of the ecology of plants (including algae), in both aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems, that carry strong and ecological messages and advance our understanding of ecological principles. We are particularly seeking applicants with expertise in the following areas:
- Light competition
- Climate change and grasslands
- Species distribution models
- Global vegetation models
- Causality methods
Methods in Ecology and Evolution
Methods in Ecology and Evolution promotes the development of new methods in ecology and evolution, and facilitates their dissemination and uptake by the research community, bringing together papers from previously disparate sub-disciplines to provide a single forum for tracking methodological developments in all areas. We are particularly looking for applicants with expertise in the following areas:
- Machine learning, Deep learning, AI
- Ecological genetics and genomics
- Practical tools/field tools
- Comparative methods/macroevolution
- Modelling, including Bayesian modelling
- Camera traps
- More spatial, SDM people.
- Remote sensing
People and Nature
People and Nature is a broad-scope, open access journal publishing work from across research areas exploring relationships between humans and nature. People and Nature fosters innovation and experimentation and particularly encourages submissions that stimulate debate. Submissions should be accessible to a broad audience and reach beyond the boundaries of work published in discipline or subject specific journals.
We welcome applications from any areas of our scope but we are particularly looking for expertise in the following areas:
- The environment and human health and wellbeing
- Governance, political sociology and the environment
- Nature experience – social science perspectives
- Agroecology and Agri-environmental policy
- Quantitative methods in people and nature including handling large datasets
- Survey design, interviews, qualitative methods
- Children and young people and the environment
- Environmental psychology
- Human-wildlife interactions
- Socioecological systems
- Urban nature
- Environmental justice
- Disease ecology and human health
- Oceans and fisheries
- Nutritional ecology
If you have any questions and would like to make an informal enquiry, please contact us using the details below.
Like what we stand for?
Support our mission and help develop the next generation of ecologists by donating to the British Ecological Society.