We are seeking an enthusiastic candidate with outstanding communication skills and an interest in further developing their career in academic publishing to join our journals’ publications team.
Contract: Full-time, Permanent
Working pattern: Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Location: London – within easy walking distance of Angel and Old Street tube stations
Salary: £31,488 (Band F, Point 1)
Closing date:This position will be closed when we have received several strong candidates for the role, no later than 30 September 2021.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and self-motivated individual with excellent organisational and time management abilities, great attention to detail and outstanding communication and interpersonal skills. You will need to have good IT skills, with knowledge of Microsoft Office, and have demonstrable experience in an academic publishing role.
You will assist the BES in publishing one of the Society’s world-renowned journals. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who is looking for an interesting and varied editorial role to be part of an experienced publications team.
About the role
Based in our office in London and reporting to the Managing Editor, the Assistant Editor will take overall responsibility for the day-to-day running of the journal but will also work closely with the rest of the publications team.
Core duties will include:
- Managing a timely and fair peer review process for a successful international journal
- Dealing with enquiries from authors, reviewers and editors
- Maintaining accurate records of manuscript progress from submission to final acceptance or rejection
- Contributing ideas for journal development and improvements to processes to Managing Editor and Editors
- Providing regular reports to Editors and Managing Editor from ScholarOne on all aspects of manuscript processing
- Liaising with the publisher’s production department to ensure publication runs smoothly
- Assisting in ongoing journal marketing and promotion via online campaigns, printed publicity and social media channels
- Updating journal web pages to highlight new journal content
- Developing and managing the journal blog in collaboration with the Blog Associate Editor
- Attending the BES annual conference and any other external relevant meetings as required
For more details on the role and to apply, click below.
Like what we stand for?
Support our mission and help develop the next generation of ecologists by donating to the British Ecological Society.