Assistant Editor – Journal of Ecology
We are seeking an enthusiastic Assistant Editor to join our small, passionate team!
Salary: £30,807 (Band F1)
Contract: Permanent, Full-time
Location: London – we are due to move offices in late July/early August and will be within easy walking distance of Angel and Old Street tube stations
Deadline: Thursday 30 May 2019
Interviews: Wednesday 12 June 2019
You’re an enthusiastic candidate with outstanding communication skills and an interest in further developing their career in academic publishing to join our journals’ publications team.
You will be educated to degree level or equivalent with the ability to communicate with a wide range of stakeholders. You will have demonstrable experience of working in academic publishing, an excellent command of the English language and a good eye for detail.
A proven interest in scientific publishing is essential. Experience using ScholarOne or a similar journals database is desirable and experience in a relevant field or a postgraduate qualification in a relevant subject would be an advantage.
About the role
Reporting to the Managing Editor, the Assistant Editor will take overall responsibility for the day-to-day running of Journal of Ecology, but will also work closely with the rest of the publications team.
Core duties will include:
- Managing a timely and fair peer review process for a successful international journal
- Dealing with enquiries from authors, reviewers and editors
- Maintaining accurate records of manuscript progress from submission to final acceptance or rejection
- Contributing ideas for journal development and improvements to processes to Managing Editor and Editors
- Providing regular reports to Editors and Managing Editor from ScholarOne on all aspects of manuscript processing
- Liaising with publisher’s production department to ensure publication runs smoothly
- Assisting in ongoing journal marketing and promotion via online campaigns, printed publicity and social media channels
- Updating journal web pages to highlight new journal content
- Developing and managing the journal blog in collaboration with the blog editor
- Attending the BES annual conference and any other external relevant meetings as required.
This role offers an opportunity to be part of a team seeking to excite and inspire our various audiences in ecology at a time when our science has never been more relevant for society. You will be based at the BES offices in Central London.
A full job description and person specification is available here.
For an informal discussion about this role, please contact Andrea Baier, Senior Managing Editor.
Please submit your CV and a short covering letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Thursday 30 May 2019.
Like what we stand for?
Support our mission and help develop the next generation of ecologists by donating to the British Ecological Society.