Blog Associate Editor – The Applied Ecologist
We are looking for an active ecologist with a passion for stimulating dialogue and communication across everyone involved in ecological research and practice to join the team in this voluntary role
Blog Associate Editor – The Applied Ecologist
The Applied Ecologist is a highly successful blog, receiving approximately 80,000 page views per year. Having started in 2014 as the official blog of Journal of Applied Ecology, the blog expanded earlier this year to include Applied Ecology Resources, a new initiative to better connect applied ecology research and practice, with the associated journal Ecological Solutions and Evidence.
Sharing a broad range of topical research from across the field of applied ecology, The Applied Ecologist sits alongside the journal social media accounts as a key platform for members of our applied ecology community and journal authors to communicate aspects of their work with a wider audience. The blog also serves as an accessible space to discuss trends in the field or topics of interest to ecologists working in both research and practical environmental management.
We are looking for an active ecologist with a passion for stimulating dialogue and communication across everyone involved in ecological research and practice. Part of the journals’ Editorial Boards, the Blog Associate Editor will work with the journals’ Editorial Offices to identify, commission and deliver scientifically robust, high-quality content for the blog. They will gain excellent experience in commissioning and editing, have the opportunity to write for the blog, while having access to articles making advances in the field.
This is a voluntary position with the Blog Associate Editor working remotely from wherever they are based. We welcome applicants from any academic career stage and from anywhere in the world. The role is anticipated to require in the region of eight hours per month. The successful candidate will receive the same benefits as the journal’s other Associate Editors (see below).
For more information please see the more detailed description of the role below. To apply, please complete the application form:
DEADLINE EXTENDED Closing date: Monday 17 August at 5:00PM BST
The BES values the benefits that diversity brings. We seek to create an inclusive culture and welcome applications from all sectors of society.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Commission and/or write content for the blog. Coordinate an average of three blog posts per month and mange correspondence with authors. Posts are related to key applied ecological themes published in the journals, trends or debates in applied ecology and environmental management, or general topics of interest to ecologists and practitioners
- Copyedit draft posts from authors before they are published to ensure that they are scientifically robust and meet the quality, style and tone requirements of the blog
- Format and upload posts to the blog
- Discuss content plans with the Editorial Office team and (where appropriate) the journal Editors
- Participate in quarterly online meetings with the Editorial Office staff to discuss current projects and new initiatives for the blog and agree the schedule of posts in the following months
- Provide copy for promoting blog posts on social media accounts and actively help promote social media posts
- Promote the blog when attending relevant conferences, meetings or workshops
Qualifications and Skills:
- Graduate degree in ecology or equivalent
- Excellent written English
- Effective and clear communication
- Keen eye for detail
- Good organisational skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to identify gaps in current content and devise new initiatives
- Tenacity and self-motivation
- Experience of contributing to a scientific blog or similar
- Experience with podcasting and video editing desired, but not essential
For the duration of the appointment, the Blog Associate Editor will receive the same benefits provided to the Associate Editors for the journals. These include:
- Free membership to the British Ecological Society for one year (with membership discounted to 50% after that). Key member benefits are free online access to BES journals, APC discounts and reduced registration for the many BES events. See here for information on the benefits of BES membership
- Free registration to the British Ecological Society Annual Meeting
- Discount on Wiley books
- Excellent opportunity to network with a wide range of ecologists
Like what we stand for?
Support our mission and help develop the next generation of ecologists by donating to the British Ecological Society.