Blog Associate Editor – The Applied Ecologist
We are seeking an enthusiastic ecologist with a passion for stimulating dialogue and communication across everyone involved in ecological research and practice to join the team in this voluntary role
Position: Part-time, reviewed annually
Working pattern: 8-10 hours per month, one monthly meeting
Location: Anywhere (fully remote)
Closing date: Wednesday 21 September 2022
Interviews: Early October via Microsoft Teams
We are looking for an active ecologist with a passion for stimulating dialogue and communication across everyone involved in ecological research and practice. Part of the journals’ Editorial Boards, the Blog Associate Editor will work with the journals’ Editorial Offices to identify, commission and deliver scientifically robust, high-quality content for the blog.
We welcome applicants who have completed a PhD in a relevant ecological discipline and from anywhere in the world (see Qualification and Skills)
About the blog
The Applied Ecologist is a highly successful blog, receiving approximately 80,000 page views per year. Having started in 2014 as the official blog of Journal of Applied Ecology, the blog expanded earlier this year to include Applied Ecology Resources, a new initiative to better connect applied ecology research and practice, with the associated journal Ecological Solutions and Evidence.
About the role
In the role, they will gain experience in commissioning, copyediting and writing new content for the blog, receive dedicated training on bespoke software such as Canva and WordPress, contribute to the journal’s social media accounts, and have early access to articles making advances in the field. The role also offers excellent opportunities to work and network with individuals outside of their immediate subject area. (see Responsibilities and Duties)
This is a voluntary position with the Blog Associate Editor working remotely from wherever they are based. The role is anticipated to require in the region of 8-10 hours per month, with the applicant deciding how to best fit this in around their other commitments. The successful candidate will receive the same benefits as the journal’s other Associate Editors (see Benefits).
Application closes on Wednesday 21 September 2022 at 5:00PM BST (UTC +1).
Full description of the role can be found below the application form. The BES values the benefits that diversity brings. We seek to create an inclusive culture and welcome applications from all sectors of society. To apply, please complete the application form below:
Sorry. This form is no longer available.
Commission and/or write content for the blog
- Coordinate and publish one topical blog post per quarter and manage correspondence with authors. Posts should be related to key applied ecological themes published in the journals and current trends, stimulate debate relevant to applied ecology and environmental management, or cover general topics of interest to ecologists and practitioners
- Copyedit four to five draft research summaries per month before they are published to ensure that they are scientifically robust and meet the quality, style and tone requirements of the blog. Guidance for this will be provided by the Editorial Office team
- Format and upload posts to the blog
Create content plans with the Editorial Office team
- Participate in monthly online meetings with the Editorial Office team to discuss current projects and new initiatives for the blog
- Discuss and agree on post schedules by month
Promote the blog and specific blog posts
- Provide copy for promoting blog posts on social media accounts and actively help promote social media posts
- Promote the blog when attending relevant conferences, meetings or workshops
- PhD in ecology or equivalent
- Excellent written English
- Effective and clear communication
- Keen eye for detail
- Good organisational and project management skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to network and a willingness to use this when working on topical blog posts
- Ability to identify gaps in current content and devise new initiatives
- Tenacity and self-motivation
- Experience of contributing to a scientific blog or similar desired, but not essential
- Experience with social media desired, but not essential
- Experience with podcasting and video editing desired, but not essential
For the duration of the appointment, the Blog Associate Editor will receive the same benefits provided to the Associate Editors for the journals. These include:
- Free membership to the British Ecological Society for one year (with membership discounted to 50% after that). Key member benefits are free online access to BES journals, APC discounts and reduced registration for the many BES events. See here for information on the benefits of BES membership
- Free registration to the British Ecological Society Annual Meeting
- Discount on Wiley books
- Excellent opportunity to network with a wide range of ecologists
Ready to apply?
Like what we stand for?
Support our mission and help develop the next generation of ecologists by donating to the British Ecological Society.