Editor – Journal of Ecology
Are you an active researcher with broad interests in plant ecology?
Salary: c. £6,700 per annum, which equates to approximately €7,700 or US$9,400
Contract: part-time, 3-year contract
Location: at the holder’s host university or organisation, based anywhere in the world
Closing date: Sunday 30 January 2022, 23:59 GMT
Interview date: Thursday 17 February 2022, via Microsoft Teams
About the Journal
Journal of Ecology is a renowned British Ecological Society journal that publishes original research papers on all aspects of the ecology of plants (including algae), in both aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems. The journal has a wide international audience, an active social media presence with over 31,000 followers on Twitter and a dedicated journal blog, and excellent publication metrics including a current Impact Factor of 6.26.
The Journal’s editorial team consists of five Editors who are supported by dedicated editorial office personnel and an international board of around 100 Associate Editors. The Senior Editors work together to determine journal strategy and to increase the reputation and quality of the Journal, in addition to making decisions on around 1000 manuscripts submitted each year. Further details about the Journal and its current editorial team can be found here.
We are seeking an Editor to strengthen and complement the editorial team and to continue raising the Journal’s profile worldwide.
To complement our Editor team, we are looking for an active researcher broad interests in plant ecology. Expertise in community or population ecology is particularly welcomed but nor required.
Applications are welcome from leading scientists covering any areas of the Journal’s scope who could contribute to the Journal’s development in topical and developing fields.
The ideal candidate will be a clear communicator who works well as part of a team and a good decision-maker who acts with integrity in both their editorial and own scientific work. They will have a solid understanding of their own field of plant ecology, as well as an overview of the wider discipline; experience of reviewing and editing processes; commitment to maintaining the high editorial standards of the Journal; and an interest in ongoing developments within academic publishing.
About the role
We are seeking an ecologist who is highly motivated in publishing excellent plant ecology to join the team of Editors of Journal of Ecology.
Working with other members of the Journal team to promote the aims of the Journal, commission and evaluate submissions, and plan and implement strategies that will enhance its profile, expand its reach, and better serve its community of authors and readers.
- Assess submitted manuscripts for suitability, selecting handling Associate Editors and reviewers, and making decisions based on their comments and your own judgement
- Actively promote the Journal and the BES to your networks and when attending conferences
- Solicit contributions in all areas relevant to the Journal
- Identify key subject areas on which the Journal should focus
- Gather opinions from fellow academic ecologists: use this information to suggest changes in procedure, to develop new initiatives and/or to feed into general discussions about the strategic direction of the Journal
- Identify and recruit new Associate Editors, including through the promotion of open recruitment calls, with a focus on ensuring diverse representation and participation amongst editorial board members
- Assist the editorial office team to identify papers for further promotion via blogs, video, podcasting and the media
- Contribute to the Journal’s development and join in discussions with those involved with other BES journals to help identify opportunities for cross-journal initiatives
- Act as Associate Editor for a limited number of manuscripts
- Actively engage with social media tools in order to help promote the Journal (desirable)
- Evidence of an active and relevant publication record
- Knowledge and understanding of the subject area, complementary to that of the existing Editors
- Experience of reviewing (essential) and of other editorial work (highly desirable)
- Ability to work as part of a team of Editors, thinking both strategically and creatively
- Ability to work independently and to prioritise from a range of active projects
- Ability to form, communicate with, and operate in, scientific networks and engage with other relevant audiences, including through use of social media
- Ability to consider multiple information sources or viewpoints, and act decisively
- Commitment to the post and to the mission of the BES, and a desire to explore new opportunities to develop and enhance journal publishing
The Journal recognises the benefits that a diverse editorial board brings. We strongly encourage leading ecologists from underrepresented demographic groups and geographic regions to apply.
This post is a part-time three-year contract (current honorarium c. £6,700 per annum, which equates to approximately €7,700 or US$9,400) and located at the holder’s host university or organisation, based anywhere in the world. Some additional financial support is available to facilitate attendance at meetings with other BES Editors and to act as an ambassador for the Journal at relevant conferences.
Like what we stand for?
Support our mission and help develop the next generation of ecologists by donating to the British Ecological Society.