Media Relations Officer
We’re looking for an excellent media relations officer to join our small, passionate team!
Position: Media Relations Officer (Permanent)
Salary: £30,807 (Band F1)
Location: London – we are due to move offices in late July/early August and will be within easy walking distance of Angel and Old Street tube stations
Deadline: Monday 13 May 2019
Interviews: Wednesday 29 May 2019
You’re someone who knows a story and understands the media, with experience in media relations, communications or journalism in science, environment or related areas.
You will have excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to translate complex information into accessible language for a variety of audiences. You’ll also need to be able to handle multiple tasks in a fast-moving environment, be team orientated and feel confident in working with leading researchers in representing their work in the media.
About the role
Reporting to the Head of External Affairs, the Media Relations Officer will take a lead on all media engagement for the BES. You will seek to raise the profile of the BES, the work of ecologists and the relevance of ecological science through national and international media.
Core duties will include:
- Work across the BES teams and with our members to identify strong stories and engage national, international and scientific media
- Write and distribute media releases, briefings and other relevant materials on new findings in our scientific journals and stories arising from exciting BES activities
- Run the news and opinion section of our website, posting stories and releases in a timely way
- Respond to enquiries from media and, where necessary, identify experts for comment in a timely manner
- Support and prepare BES spokespeople, members and journal authors for media interviews
- Monitor media coverage, analyse activity and report on the effectiveness of our work in raising awareness and the BES profile
This role offers an opportunity to be part of a team seeking to excite and inspire our various audiences in ecology at a time when our science has never been more relevant for society. You will be based at the BES offices in Central London.
A full job description and person specification is available here.
For an informal discussion about this role, please contact Benjamin, HR Manager.
Please submit your CV and a short covering letter via email to email@example.com no later than Monday 13 May 2019.
Like what we stand for?
Support our mission and help develop the next generation of ecologists by donating to the British Ecological Society.