Representatives for the Public Engagement Working Group
The British Ecological Society is currently seeking representatives for the Public Engagement Working Group.
The British Ecological Society is seeking additional representatives for the Public Engagement Working Group (PEWG). The remit of the PEWG is to develop and oversee the delivery of the Society’s public engagement activities, which include, but are not limited to:
- Identifying and developing public events the society attends to share the excitement and relevance of ecology and its members work
- Developing a training programme for BES members in a range of public engagement and science communication skills
- Overseeing the development of and assessing applications for the BES Regional Fund, which provides financial support to members for public engagement activities
- Guiding the wider public engagement activity of the society, providing expertise to identify and maximise opportunities for and impact of its work
The PEWG meets three times per annum, remote attendance is possible. The successful applicant will initially be appointed for a term of 3 years. The role does not have any remuneration, but out of pocket expenses such as travel fares are reimbursed.
To achieve an appropriate balance of skills and experience on the working group, we would particularly welcome applications from people with any of the following attributes and skills:
- Those with experience in the arts and performance, particularly with experience communicating science to public audiences and with an interest in ecology
- Postgraduate students in the ecological sciences
- Those working in ecological careers outside of academia (public sector, private sector and self-employed).
- Public engagement professionals with an interest in ecology
- We would like to ensure a good representation from across the UK
Please provide a CV and brief supporting statement (no more than one side of A4) to Chris Jeffs (Education & Engagement Manager).
Closing date: Friday 25th April 2019
A final decision will be made by 8th May and candidates informed shortly after. For further information, contact Chris Jeffs.
Like what we stand for?
Support our mission and help develop the next generation of ecologists by donating to the British Ecological Society.