Policy Committee Chair
The British Ecological Society (BES) is looking to recruit a new Policy Committee Chair who is committed to generating, communicating and promoting ecological knowledge and solutions. The remit of the Policy Committee is to develop and oversee the delivery of the Society’s policy work.
The Chair of the Policy Committee will automatically also become a BES Trustee. As a Trustee, you will share responsibility for governing the BES and directing how it is managed and run. You will ensure that the members’ views shape the direction of the BES and that the breadth of the ecological community is represented.
The new Chair would be expected to start the role in September 2019, allowing for a 3-month period overlap with the current Chair.
The role of Chair of Policy Committee
Supported by the Executive Team, comprising a Policy Manager, two Policy Officers and a Policy Intern (six months per annum), the role of the Policy Committee Chair is to ensure the effective delivery of a key part of the Society’s mission and vision: Communicating the value of ecological knowledge to policymakers and promoting evidence-informed solutions. Supporting members to engage with policymaking and bringing together their expertise to make the best evidence available to decision-makers.
The Chair will provide inclusive leadership to their Committee and, where appropriate, challenges the Executive Team. They may act as an ambassador and the public face of the BES in their area of work.
In addition to the general responsibilities of a trustee (see full role description document), duties of the Chair are as follows:
• Working effectively with the Executive Team to deliver the Society’s mission and vision.
• Contributing to and signing-off on policy positions, consultation responses etc, developed by the Policy Team and BES membership.
• Representing the BES at functions and meetings, and acting as a spokesperson as appropriate.
• Ensuring impartiality and objectivity to all decision-making.
• Ensuring that the Committee follows BES policies and procedures, i.e. transparency, equality and diversity.
• Chairing and facilitating Committee meetings and resolving differing views within the Committee.
• With the Policy Manager, planning the annual cycle of Committee meetings; setting agendas for Committee meetings; overseeing the preparation of papers for meetings, production of minutes, and completion of actions.
• Developing both the Committee and the Policy Team through varied recruitment activities.
• Attending Board of Trustee meetings or appointing a substitute from their Committee if they are unable to attend a Board meeting.
• Reporting to the Board of Trustees on their area of remit.
• Providing feedback on staff for the annual appraisal of the Executive Team.
• Sitting on appraisal, recruitment and disciplinary panels as required.
Term of Office
The term of office for a Committee Chair is 3 years and the maximum number of terms of office that can be served consecutively is 2 terms. A Committee Chair is expected to chair 3 meetings of the Committee, attend 4 meetings of the Board of Trustees and attend 1 joint strategy day each year.
The total time commitment per year is approximately 16-20 days.
How to apply
Please submit a CV and a covering letter explaining why you are suitable for the role.
All applications should be sent to Holly Leckenby Rye (email@example.com) by 23:59 9th June 2019.
Like what we stand for?
Support our mission and help develop the next generation of ecologists by donating to the British Ecological Society.