Wales Policy Group Chair
About the Wales Policy Group
The BES Wales Policy Group (WPG) will link ecologists and policymakers and promote policymaking informed by ecological science. It will present the scientific evidence rather than campaigning on particular issues. The WPG policy work will align with the BES mission to advance ecology and make it count. This will include operating within a wider proactive model for BES policy work, meaning that the WPG will not only react to policy opportunities (such as consultations) but will also focus on identifying key policy opportunities to increase the BES policy impact.
The WPG will organise events (such as ‘Pie and a Pint’ events and policy training workshops) focused on policy priorities and processes in Wales, prepare briefings to members about the latest Welsh policy news and respond to particularly important consultations and inquiries. The activities that will be carried out will be agreed among the WPG members, following the development of the WPG Vision and Strategy document.
Once established, the group will meet no more than four times per year and always online.
We are seeking a responsive and enthusiastic individual with experience and time to commit to the Wales Policy Group. This is an exciting opportunity for BES members to help shape and direct our work in Wales, and support the delivery of our ambitious strategic plan.
About the role
The Chair will be critical in the formation of the WPG and its success, through chairing WPG meetings, leading on the development of the WPG Vision and Strategy document and the Terms of Reference, helping organise the first WPG event, working with BES staff members to agree agendas and voting on WPG matters. In general, they will have a key role in designing and organising all WPG activities.
- Chair WPG online meetings (at least one meeting per month for the first six months, and up four per year after that);
- Work with BES staff to agree meeting agendas;
- Take a leading role in developing key WPG documents during the setup of the group, including the WPG Vision and Strategy document and Terms of Reference;
- Work with WPG members to design and carry out WPG activities and events; and
- Help to set the direction of the WPG.
- Time availability to commit to the group (essential);
- Enthusiasm for promoting policymaking informed by ecological science (essential);
- Knowledge and expertise about the ecological science-policy interface in Wales (essential); and
- Experience of chairing (desirable).
This is an initial 3-year fixed term voluntary position with the potential to extend.
For more information and to apply, or see the advert in Welsh, follow ‘Apply Now’.
Like what we stand for?
Support our mission and help develop the next generation of ecologists by donating to the British Ecological Society.