Wales Policy Group Core Member
About the Wales Policy Group
The BES Wales Policy Group (WPG) will link ecologists and policymakers and promote policymaking informed by ecological science. It will present the scientific evidence rather than campaigning on particular issues. The WPG policy work will align with the BES mission to advance ecology and make it count. This will include operating within a wider proactive model for BES policy work, meaning that the WPG will not only react to policy opportunities (such as consultations) but will also focus on identifying key policy opportunities to increase the BES policy impact.
The WPG will organise events (such as ‘Pie and a Pint’ events and policy training workshops) focused on policy priorities and processes in Wales, prepare briefings to members about the latest Welsh policy news and respond to particularly important consultations and inquiries. The activities that will be carried out will be agreed among the WPG members, following the development of the WPG Vision and Strategy document.
Once established, the group will meet no more than four times per year and always online.
We are seeking a responsive and enthusiastic individual with experience and time to commit to the Wales Policy Group. This is an exciting opportunity to help shape and direct our work in Wales, and support the delivery of our ambitious strategic plan. You do not have to be a BES member to fill this role.
About the role
WPG Core Members will be involved in establishing the WPG, the WPG Vision and Strategy document, the Terms of Reference and putting together the first WPG event. They will also have a key role in designing and carrying out all WPG activities.
- Attend regular meetings during the initial setup of the WPG (at least monthly meetings for the first six months) then, once the WPG is established, attend the regular WPG meetings (up to four per year online);
- Help establish the WPG Vision and Strategy document and WPG Terms of Reference;
- Take a key role in designing and undertaking WPG activities, including designing and undertaking WPG activities;
- Vote on WPG matters.
- Time availability to commit to the group (essential);
- Enthusiasm for promoting policymaking informed by ecological science (essential); and
- Knowledge and expertise about the ecological science-policy interface in Wales (desirable).
This is an initial 3-year fixed term voluntary position with the potential to extend.
For more information and to apply, or see the advert in Welsh, follow ‘Apply Now’.
Like what we stand for?
Support our mission and help develop the next generation of ecologists by donating to the British Ecological Society.