Join ecologists from around the world in Edinburgh this December.
What your registration fee includes…
Our Annual Meeting has grown into Europe’s largest and most influential conference dedicated to ecology. We work hard to ensure the cost to delegates is accessible and competitive with other similar conferences around the world.
We are proud to include within the registration fees:
- Access to four plenary lectures by internationally renowned speakers
- Access to all parallel sessions covering a diverse range of topics each day
- All lunchtime workshops
- An opportunity to share your research as a talk or poster presentation
- Access to plenary lectures, thematic sessions, and several workshops on-demand
- Lunch and tea and coffee breaks on all 3 days
- Welcome mixer with complimentary drinks
- Two poster sessions, each with complimentary drinks
- Access to a variety of other social events throughout the conference with refreshments provided, including the opportunity to engage with our Special Interest Groups (SIGs)
- Access to a wide range of global exhibitors
- The opportunity to shape the BES via the Annual General Meeting (AGM)
- A copy of the printed programme
Your registration also includes access to the BES2022 virtual attendee hub where in-person and virtual attendees come together. Using the virtual hub, you can:
- Schedule individual and group virtual meetings with both virtual and in-person attendees
- Direct message both virtual and in-person attendees
- Attend online speed networking sessions
- View the full programme and add key sessions to your schedule
- View on-demand presentations with Q&A
- Download the hub as an app to your device or access via your web browser
If you are looking for virtual attendance, click here.
Members of the BES can access significantly discounted registration rates to our Annual Meeting, so join today!
- Earlybird registration deadline: 17:00 (BST), Friday 21 October
- Standard registration deadline: 17:00 (GMT), Friday 18 November
|BES Concession Member*||£190||£240|
|Discount Parent Registration**||£210||N/A|
- Any delegates that require a carer to be present are entitled to bring a helper free of charge
- *Concession Member is a BES member-only rate and includes students and retired members.
- **These rates are only available until the earlybird deadline. Details of these will be available on our ‘For Families’ page soon.
- Please note we are only able to offer invoices in exceptional circumstances and only up to 2 weeks before the earlybird registration deadline to ensure these can be processed in time. Group bookings of up to 6 can be made online and paid by card.
If you are attending the meeting and have a partner, or other person who does not wish to attend the scientific programme but would like to come along to the social programme, this rate covers all lunches, coffee breaks, poster sessions and the welcome mixer. Only the dinner would need to be added as an additional cost.
If you are coming along to the meeting with children and both parents/carers wish to attend the scientific programme, we understand that half of your time as a parent will be looking after your child so offer a discounted registration rate for both carers. Similarly, if you are attending as a single carer and will be looking after your child for part of the time, you can register at this rate.
We will not be offering on-site registration this year.
Attendees will have access to a limited number of online workshops the week before the main conference dates. These are included in your registration fee. Sign-up is only required for the Early Careers Workshop when you register, for all others simply turn up and enjoy!
Several half day workshops will be held on Sunday 18 December. These pre-conference workshops need to be pre-paid in advance by adding them to your registration when you book.
All lunchtime workshops within the main meeting programme are included within the registration fee and do not require pre-booking.
Workshops are not available to book yet, once these have been announced you will be able to login to your BES account and add them to your booking.
We invite you to join us on Tuesday 20 December for the conference dinner at the EICC. Continue meeting new colleagues and building connections over dinner, drinks and entertainment.
This will be at an additional cost of £54 and should be added to your registration when you book.
We will be providing grants to support students and postgraduate research assistants from low and lower-middle income countries to attend our Annual Meeting. Grants of up to £1000 will be available for in-person attendance.
More details will be released soon.
How to register
When registering, you will have the option of booking for VIRTUAL or IN-PERSON attendance. Please ensure you are booking onto the correct option.
Accommodation is to be booked by delegates independently. A list of recommended hotels can be found here.
Edinburgh is a very popular destination, especially during the festive period, so we recommend booking well in advance of December to avoid disappointment.
At this stage it is difficult to predict the impact of COVID-19 in December. We will continue to monitor UK Government guidance on COVID-19 and reserve the right to put in place COVID-19 secure measures to ensure BES2022 is a safe place to meet.
If you are unable attend because you have COVID-19 you should let us know as soon as possible and provide proof of a positive test. You will be offered a full refund or, if you wish to join virtually, we will refund the difference in price. We will not cover the cost of any cancelled travel or accommodation, please speak directly to providers and check your travel insurance policy.
In the event of the conference being cancelled we will offer a full refund to all delegates or the option to switch to a virtual pass if we move to a fully online event.
For all other cancellations the standard cancellation policy applies. These deadlines also apply to those wishing to move from in-person to virtual attendance:
- If cancellation is received before 17:00 (BST), Friday 21 October, the full registration fee will be given.
- If cancellation is received after 17:00 (BST), Friday 21 October, but before 17:00 (GMT), Friday 18 November, 50% of the registration fee will be refunded.
- No refunds will be given after 17:00 (GMT), Friday 18 November.
Invitation VISA letters
We can provide invitation letters to those attending our Annual Meeting and attendance certificates after the meeting. We do not get involved in the VISA process other than providing these letters. VISA applications will only be provided after the following criteria have been satisfied:
- Applicants must provide us with a scan of their valid in-date passport that contains a photo of them.
- Applicants must provide us with an academic CV and the correspondence address for the letter.
- Applicants must provide us with a letter of support from their institute, saying they support the delegate attending the meeting.
- This must be carried out in good time before the meeting, “last minute” requests will not be processed.
- We should forewarn delegates requesting VISA letters that a Skype/phone call MAY be required in some circumstances.
- The general rule is that delegates must have paid for registration and submitted an abstract to get a letter of invitation.
Like what we stand for?
Support our mission and help develop the next generation of ecologists by donating to the British Ecological Society.