Parliamentary shadowing scheme
Our parliamentary shadowing scheme offers early and mid-career ecologists the chance to gain an inside view of the policy world.
The 2018 Parliamentary Shadowing scheme in Westminster is open for applications!
Apply now for our 2018 Parliamentary Shadowing Scheme and spend up to three days in Westminster shadowing an MP or Lord. Participants will gain a unique insight into the workings of British Parliament and the policy world, at a time when knowledge of policymaking processes is particularly important for ecologists. The 2018 Parliamentary Shadowing Scheme will take place between 1 November and 14 December 2018 ,with one opportunity taking place 16-17 October.
Please send a CV of a maximum of two pages, and a covering letter detailing why you wish to take part in the shadowing scheme and how you hope it will further your career, as well as how you intend to share the learning from your experience with the wider ecological community.
If you are applying for the October 16-17 opportunity, please email your CV and cover letter as soon as possible. We will aim to respond to your application within two days.
Applications for the November and December placements are being accepted on a rolling basis until 9:00am on Monday 15 October 2018. Please do not wait until the deadline as we may appoint participants before this date. Applications should be sent to Brendan Costelloe, Policy Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
Given the short time-frame, we will endeavour to let you know if you are the successful candidate by Friday, 19 October 2018.
Eligibility is limited to ecologists who are:
Selection will be based on:
- Experience or willingness to actively communicate ecological research to policymakers
- Strong scientific record for career status
- Intent to share what is learned during the Fellowship with students and colleagues
- Read about Sofia Cota-Franco’s placement with Julie Girling MEP
- Read about Siobhan Vye’s placement with Julie Girling MEP
- Read about Rory O’Connor’s placement with Julie Girling MEP
- Read about Jenni McDonald’s placement with Professor Ian Boyd, Chief Scientific Advisor at Defra
- Read about Isabel Jones’ placement with Roseanna Cunningham MSP
Like what we stand for?
Support our mission and help develop the next generation of ecologists by donating to the British Ecological Society.