The British Ecological Society’s ambitious strategy for 2023-25.
The British Ecological Society’s strategy for 2023–2025 is rightly ambitious.
We will rise to the global challenges of climate change and biodiversity loss. We will help people discover the wonder of ecology in their everyday life. And we are backing this ambition with new investment: we expect to put in £2.7 million over these three years to have greater impact.
Nature and people thrive in a world inspired by ecology
Advancing ecology and creating solutions for a planet under threat
We are objective and we are the expert voice of ecology
We are innovative and we set the agenda
We are international, we collaborate, and we welcome everyone
1. Advance ecological science to deepen our understanding of the living world
We will support new ideas, make connections and increase the impact of ecological science. We will be the best place for the ecological community to publish, meet and discuss their work.
2. Put ecology at the heart of decision-making for a sustainable planet
We will convene policy-makers, implementers and ecologists to discuss ecological challenges and find solutions to global problems. We will build the ecological community’s capacity to influence policy.
3. Nurture a growing community that is strong, equitable and collaborative
We will help everyone feel that ecology is a welcoming and inclusive discipline that celebrates diversity. We will nurture ecologists from their first steps throughout their whole career.
4. Celebrate the wonder of ecology to inspire action and change
We will share stories that tell of the astonishment and importance of ecology. We will excite, encourage and support a new generation of ecologists.
5. Become more sustainable to enable our long-term future, and lead the way in best practice
We will set ambitious targets to reduce our impact on nature and share that journey with others. We will nurture those who work with us in an equitable and inclusive environment. We will develop new income streams.
What we will do
Some of the aims and activities in our strategy will already be familiar to our members and to the public, as they are an essential element of who we are. We will always advance ecological science:
- Through our publishing portfolio
- By bringing ecologists together from different disciplines, and
- By supporting our members all over the world.
There are also new ambitions here.
- There will be a new focus on facilitating emerging areas of ecology, and working with those not just in policy-making but those involved in implementing change on the land and in the seas.
- We will set out a coherent path for becoming a Net Zero and nature positive organisation.
- We will focus relentlessly on equity in all forms.
Like what we stand for?
Support our mission and help develop the next generation of ecologists by donating to the British Ecological Society.