Next Generation Bursary Scheme
The BES Next Generation Bursary Scheme supports aspiring ecologists without the finances or opportunities to pursue their passion for a career in ecology.
Since 2019 the BES has been working with partners and donors to administrate bursary schemes. We currently have two Bursary schemes in operation, and these are open for applications annually to BES members, followers, and participants in our activities (subject to eligibility criteria).
(1) Ecology Resources Ltd. Bursary
The Ecology Resources Ltd. Bursary was launched in 2019, founded through the generosity of John Condron and Naomi Condron, directors of the ecological consultancy, Ecology Resources Ltd.
Aiming to remove barriers and support young individuals from all backgrounds with low opportunities, and create an inclusive ecological community.
The Ecology Resources Ltd Bursary, administered by the BES, has so far provided awards between £200 and £2,500 to enable support for equipment, training and work experience opportunities. The programme is now supporting a growing number of individuals who have attended our BES Summer Schools and beyond.
Our bursary awardees are now successfully pursuing a range of ecological careers, from consultancy and conservation to environmental outreach and filmmaking.
Applications are accepted annually from:
- Individuals rom low-income backgrounds or with significant financial barriers to career development
- Individuals from low-opportunity backgrounds (e.g. returning from significant parental leave, disabilities, caring responsibilities).
- Communities currently underrepresented in the environmental sector and ecology careers
** Stay tuned: Applications for 2021 Ecology Resources Ltd. Bursary awardees are opening in October**
(2) Ecology and Urban Regeneration – The Future Leaders Programme
This bursary and professional development programme, funded the SPAN Trust for 2021 – 2023, supports undergraduates who are studying ecology and related natural sciences to develop their careers, particularly in the field of urban regeneration and the built environment.
Awardees will receive 12 months of training and mentoring support, equivalent to £2,250 of support delivered by the BES and partners and including £1250 of direct funds to put towards career development such as paid-for training, work experience, and equipment.
Applicants will be drawn from young ecologists from low-income backgrounds who wish to work in the field of the built environment and urban regeneration and make a difference to their communities.
Applications are accepted annual from:
- Preference for undergraduates based in London and the South East (either through permanent residence or student location)
- Low-income and low-opportunity backgrounds
- Individuals with a passion for ecology particularly in the field of urban regeneration and the built environment
- Individuals passionate about the role ecology can play in benefitting others and improving the built environment in their local community and/or other communities of social and economic disadvantage.
- Capable of being the future leaders in ecology and the built environment and looking to make a difference by working with local community groups.
** Stay tuned: Applications for 2021 Ecology and Urban Regeneration Bursary awardees are opening in October!**
Opportunities for funders
If we want to nurture a diverse and vibrant future ecological community, we must act now. We can all help support asprigin ecologists pursue the careers many of us feel fortunate to have.
If you would like to support the next generation of ecologists by creating your own bursary scheme or supporting our existing careers work and residential summer schools, please contact us:
Like what we stand for?
Support our mission and help develop the next generation of ecologists by donating to the British Ecological Society.