Developing skills and sharing methods to encourage ecological good practice.
There are few areas of modern ecology that do not rely heavily on quantitative methods! Ecological modelling and data management are rapidly expanding sub-disciplines of ecology, and so the group helps its members obtain advice, learn, apply good practice and collaborate.
The SIG runs regular training and scientific events, an annual event at the BES Annual Meeting and host a community-contributed set of guides for quantitative methods – feel free to share your input!
Join the mailing list
To join the mailing list go to www.jiscmail.ac.uk/BESQUANTITATIVE and choose the ‘Subscribe or Unsubscribe’ link. Alternatively send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a blank subject header and the following text, ‘subscribe BESQUANTITATIVE’ and your full name.
Join the Committee
We are looking for a Quantitative Ecologist to step into the deputy secretary role and provide some continuity to the SIG leadership. The deputy secretary role involves:
- Supporting the secretary in the running of the SIG – helping with budgets, suggesting events etc.
- Attending meetings at BES HQ twice a year (travel & accommodation covered)
- Seek to expand the SIG and promote quantitative ecology within the BES
Do you work in policy, or do policy-focused research and consider yourself a quantitative ecologist? We are looking to take on someone to be our policy rep. The policy rep will aim to develop events (with the support of the rest of the committee) that bring together policy makers and quantitative ecologists, or that are focused around policy issues.
Please send a copy of your CV, and a few sentences about what you would do in the role to email@example.com. If you have any questions at all, do not hesitate to get in touch. Deadline: 17:00 (GMT) Monday 13 January.
- Support quantitative skills development for all ecologists
- Improve dissemination of new quantitative methods to their users
- Provide a forum to advance quantitative ecology in its own right
Meetings and Events
For all upcoming events please see the events page.
- Susan Jarvis (Joint secretary)
- Laura Graham (Joint secretary)
- Shaun Keegan (early careers rep)
- Miriam Grace (policy rep)
- Tom August (social media rep)
- Rob Salguero-Gomez (finance officer)
- Liam Butler (training and education)
- Gergana Daskalova (training and education / online resources coordinator)
- Dominic Bennett (online resources coordinator)
- Nick Golding (past secretary / co-organiser)
- Rick Stafford (co-organiser)
Like what we stand for?
Support our mission and help develop the next generation of ecologists by donating to the British Ecological Society.