Invasion Science Group
The Invasion Science Group provides a network to connect researchers and practitioners both nationally and internationally, who work in the field of invasion science.
The Invasion Science Group provides a network to connect researchers and practitioners both nationally and internationally, who work in the field of invasion science. The group will facilitate application of invasion science research, and better targeting of research to meet applied needs, through engaging with policy-makers and organisations tasked with managing invasive species.
Join the Mailing List
To join the mailing list simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with your full name, background (i.e. research, management and/or policy) and institution. Alternatively, private message us on our Twitter account: @BESInvasionSci
Join the Committee
We have an exciting opportunity available for anyone interested in invasion science and looking to take on a leadership role in the BES Invasion Science SIG. This is a great time to join our committee as we are working towards our aim to provide space for communication and collaboration between researchers, practitioners and policymakers in invasion science.
This role is intended to support the Chair in their role. This role may function through the Chair delegating specific tasks to the Deputy, or through the Deputy assisting the Chair in delivering successful SIG events and Committee Meetings. The person who fills this role should be prepared to act as a substitute in situations where the Chair is unable to attend or be involved, so may include a diverse set of activities and communications. This person would also, generally, act as an ambassador for the SIG outside the BES.
Good communication and organisational skills, as well as novel ways of thinking and working are a must for this role. We are a welcoming and inclusive group that works together using each other’s skills to achieve the aim and objectives of the SIG. We very much look forward to welcoming a new member to the Team!
If you are interested in becoming the next Deputy Chair for the Invasion Science SIG, could you please send:
A cover letter detailing your:
- motivations and commitment to the role,
- vision for the role and the Invasion Science SIG and
- any relevant experience
All applications must be sent here.
Applications will be passed to SIG committee, who will decide on appointments.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch. Thank you!
The main aim of the Invasion SIG is to provide space for communication and collaboration between researchers, practitioners and policymakers in invasion science.
This will be achieved through three main objectives:
- Exchanging knowledge in invasion science across ecosystems and taxonomic groups
- Facilitating/supporting interactions between research-, policy- and management-focused invasion science
- Supporting early career invasion scientists to develop their careers in academic/research, management and/or policy-facing directions
Meetings & Events
Information about all upcoming events can be found on the Events page.
- Chair – Katie O’Shaughnessy
- Events – Josie South
- Communications – Steph Bradbeer and Guillaume Latombe
- Postgrad Rep – Jack Daniels
- Treasurers – Mike Fowler & Ross Shackleton
- Social Media – Flo Yannelli
- Policy Rep – Olaf Booy & Louisa Wood
- Early Career Rep – Rebecca Giesler & Susan Canavan
- Postgrad Rep & Social Media – Victoria Domingeuz Almela
- Postgrad Rep – Quardi Anibaba
Like what we stand for?
Support our mission and help develop the next generation of ecologists by donating to the British Ecological Society.