Equality and Diversity Champion
This annual award recognises an individual or group who have campaigned to highlight the importance of equality and diversity and worked to make a difference or served as an inspiration to others.
It honours and celebrates those who have made significant, innovative and cumulatively outstanding contributions to enhancing the practice of equality and diversity in the ecological community. The Award is an honorarium of £1,000 and is open to ecologists from anywhere in the world.
The following criteria will be used when considering nominations:
- Acting as a role model in championing equality and diversity issues;
- Creating an inclusive culture by challenging inequalities, barriers and bias;
- Leading positive actions or interventions to enable talented people from all backgrounds to realise their full potential;
- Influencing the attitudes and behaviours of the ecological community;
- Evidence of the impact they have had in the support of equality and diversity in ecology both within their own organisation and in the wider ecological community.
The winners will be invited to give a presentation at our Annual Meeting, and write an article on equality and diversity for our membership magazine and a blog post for our website.
The nomination process for this award is now open. The closing date is 24 April 2019.
Prize winners to date include:
Rosie Trevelyan (2018)
Christine Maggs (2017)
Seirian Sumner and Nathalie Pettorelli (2016)
Like what we stand for?
Support our mission and help develop the next generation of ecologists by donating to the British Ecological Society.