Policy Shift Could Significantly Reduce UK Emissions
A new report by the Campaign for Better Transport suggests that emissions from transport could be cut by up to 26% of 2006 levels by 2020.
The report highlights the following areas where most emissions could be reduced:
• Reductions in passenger travel emissions of 32%
• Freight emissions reduced by up to 19%
• Cars 25% more fuel efficient
• Car traffic reduced by 15%
• Domestic aviation emissions down 30%
The report suggests that cutting long-distance travel could lead to significant reductions in overall emissions, particularly from long-distance commuters and HGVs.
The government awaits the official findings from the Committee on Climate Change before making any final decisions.
Like what we stand for?
Support our mission and help develop the next generation of ecologists by donating to the British Ecological Society.