COVID measures at EAB2021
We are putting in place a series of measures to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission so that Ecology Across Borders 2021 (EAB2021) is a safe space to meet.
- Do not attend the conference if you have COVID-19 symptoms
- You must show proof of a negative COVID test within the previous 48 hours (email, text or other confirmation) on arrival at the venue. Double vaccination is not enough by itself
- We encourage daily lateral flow testing for extra confidence throughout the event
- NEW: We will need to check proof of a negative test again on the last day of the conference, Wednesday 15 December. This is to comply with the requirement in law coming into force that day
- Wearing a face mask is necessary on arrival and throughout the venue, unless medically exempt, or when eating, drinking, or at a seated dinner.
These measures will reduce the risk of spreading the virus at the event and help protect us all. Thank you for supporting everyone’s safety and wellbeing while coronavirus remains in general circulation.
You can download the full COVID risk assessment at the bottom of the page.
We strongly recommend everyone gets fully vaccinated against COVID-19. The coronavirus vaccines are safe and effective. They give you the best protection against COVID-19.
Day 2 Test and Passenger Locator Form
Before you travel to England you must:
- Book and pay for a COVID-19 test – this must be a PCR test (lateral flow tests will not be accepted) to be taken before the end of day 2 in England.
- You must self-isolate until you have a negative PCR result. We have suggested several onsite testing facilities that offer the same or next day results below.
- Please note you will need to book this before you travel, as the test number needs to be added to your passenger locator form.
- Complete a passenger locator form – to be completed in the 48 hours before you arrive in England
Please note, you can take your PCR test as soon as you arrive in the UK, you do not need to wait until day 2 to test. As soon as you receive a negative result, you can leave self-isolation.
You may need a test before you return home after the conference, too – it is worth checking the requirements of the country you are returning to.
Getting your Day 2 PCR test
We would not recommend doing postal PCR tests as the results will take longer. There are onsite testing facilities available when you enter the UK that offer next day, and in some cases, same day results.
Liverpool City Centre
- Midland Health – same day results if test by Midday. No Sunday testing.
- The Randox Clinic – results by 23:59 the next day
- Gatwick and Heathrow: Express Tests – results by 22:00 the next day
- Stanstead: Randox Health Travel Centre – results by 23:59 the next day
- Luton: Collinson Group – results within 48 hours
- Manchester: The Randox Clinic – results by 23:59 the next day
- Private Coronavirus Tests – located three minutes from St Pancras International station, same day and next day results
Symptoms of COVID-19
Check for symptoms of COVID-19:
- A high temperature
- A new, continuous cough
- A loss or change to your sense of smell or taste
Do not attend if you have COVID-19 or symptoms of COVID-19. We have a flexible cancellation policy in place if you cannot attend due to COVID-19 (see below).
You must be pre-booked and registered to attend the event – there will be no opportunity to turn up and register on the day.
On registration all attendees must show:
- Proof of a negative COVID test (PCR or Lateral Flow Device) test taken less than 48 hours before entering the event.
- We will need to check proof of a negative test again on the last day of the conference, Wednesday 15 December. This is to comply with the requirement in law coming into force that day.
Please note you must have proof of a negative COVID test even if you are fully vaccinated.
Please ensure you have proof of the above ready when you enter the venue to try and reduce queuing.
We encourage daily lateral flow testing for added confidence.
Please see the below section on Lateral Flow Tests for more details.
Sanitiser stations will be available at the entrance, please use these each time you enter the building.
During the event
Wearing a face mask is necessary on arrival and throughout the venue, unless medically exempt, or when eating, drinking, or at a seated dinner.
Social distancing will not be enforced but encouraged where possible.
An orange-coloured lanyard will be offered to those who would like to maintain social distancing and a sunflower lanyard is available for those medically exempt from wearing masks. We ask delegates to look out for and respect those wearing these lanyards.
There will be increased stewarding in place to reduce high density, congested areas.
We ask delegates to practise regular handwashing and/or use the sanitiser stations throughout the venue.
The venue will have enhanced cleaning procedures.
The venue will provide increased ventilation with a Fresh Air system in all indoor spaces.
The venue will employ the highest standards of food safety and minimise contact points.
Lateral Flow Tests
When you are in the UK, you can get up to two packs of seven rapid lateral flow tests from local pharmacies for free. These can be taken away and done where you are staying.
To get proof of your negative lateral flow test, you should register your results on the Government website and you will receive an email/text message of your result.
There is also a walk-in COVID-19 lateral flow testing site next to the conference venue. You do not need to book. Please note this is for no symptom testing only.
All countries have their own set of COVID-19 measures in place. If you are arriving from a country outside the UK with greater restrictions, it might seem different to what you are used to.
The UK government’s COVID-19 website is the best source to find all the information you need while in the UK. As it stands, in England masks are mandatory on all public transport and in shops. It is necessary for all EAB2021 delegates to wear masks within the venue.
COVID-19 Cancellation Policy
If you are unable to attend the conference due to COVID-19 (you have COVID-19, you have symptoms of COVID-19, you have been told to isolate, or there are now restrictions in place that prevent you from travelling), you should let us know as soon as possible.
You will be offered a full refund. We will not cover the cost of any cancelled travel or accommodation, please speak directly to providers/check your travel insurance policy.
For all other cancellations the standard cancellation policy will apply.
Like what we stand for?
Support our mission and help develop the next generation of ecologists by donating to the British Ecological Society.